Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hoover Dam


Made it to Hoover Dam.  Got to drive across the new bridge.  Really can't see much when you are driving, but I guess that keeps traffic flowing.  They weren't doing the "Dam" tour, but were doing the powerhouse tour. The Dam tour is longer and the one I really wanted to see.  Still, pretty cool place to visit.  I made it to Vegas this evening and will be staying here until I head to work.  I hope to see the Neon museum, drive a race car or two, maybe jump out of an airplane.  Have to see what I can find.


Driving on the new bridge
 The new bridge


 Some of the tunnels built during dam construction.
 One of the diversion tunnels that now has a pipe through it (50'diameter) for feeding the generators
 Water flow map


 The generators on the Nevada side
 Each generator assembly weighs 500 tons so they use both 300 ton cranes to lift them out for repair.  For reference, the statue of Liberty weighs 250 tons.



 One of the generators that provides power for dam operations




 Generator cut away













 Walking across the new bridge








1 comment: